Who are we?
Bygrove is a one-form entry primary school with a distinctive character. Staff & pupils are ambitious & confident – performance at KS2 shows our pupils consistently outperform their national peers & make significantly more progress – and yet we are small enough to feel like a big family. Our pupils are at the heart of everything we do. They are happy, friendly & well-behaved & they love learning. Everyone here feels like they belong and it’s this that gives us the platform to succeed.
In short, what defines us is our:
This is the school's vision statement
To all the pupils at Bygrove Primary School,
Every day at Bygrove Primary School, the staff and governors are working to make sure that by the time you leave us:
A melting pot
Bygrove is a multi-faith, multi-cultural, multi-lingual school, with pupils and staff hailing from nearly 20 different countries & practicing many faiths, the majority being Muslim. This has a very positive impact on the school; we feel extraordinarily lucky to be so diverse. We recognise just how much we can learn from one another & ultimately just how similar we all are.
School-based training & staff development
Professional development is a priority for all of our staff, whatever their role. We have, for example:
We could not achieve the things we do on our own. So building & maintaining a variety of strong partnerships has always been a priority. We:
- Are members of the Poplar Partnership group of schools with & through whom we work on areas such as Assessment for Learning, transition & parental engagement. The Poplar Partnership pioneered shared services employing, for example, 2 full-time social workers & a school health advisor across the partnership
- Enjoy a particularly strong partnership with another local school, Stebon Primary School, with whom we have joined to form a multi-academy trust – the LETTA Trust. Teachers from the two schools plan & design curriculum delivery together, making the best use of each other’s strengths & expertise. We also deliver economies of scale by attending much of our staff training together
- Are founder members of the Tower Hamlets Education Partnership
- Play a key role in The East London Teaching School Hub for whom we provide CPD facilitation & Initial Teacher Training
- Work closely with the Bow Arts Trust on creative projects, particularly at KS2
- Have worked with Citi-Group & Morgan Stanley to develop a bespoke, flexible volunteering package enabling employees to volunteer at Bygrove in all sorts of ways
- Always develop strong partnerships with parents through regular meetings & events, encouraging carers to become increasingly involved in the life of the school
A healthy school
We understand that learning how to look after our bodies & minds is one of the most important things we can do at primary school. We have:
- A specialist PE & sports teacher who teaches all the children in the school & supports the professional development of teaching staff in PE
- Achieved numerous awards, including School Games Gold
- Philosophy for Children, Restorative Justice, & PSHE as key elements of our curriculum
- A range of fruit daily for pupils in the Early Years & KS1 as well as milk & water
- Actively promoted physical activity during break times; lunchtime sessions of basketball, skipping, etc & training for midday supervisors in supporting games in the playground
- 2 hours of PE a week in which sports such as football, netball, cricket, hockey, dance & gymnastics are rotated on a termly basis; swimming lessons from Y4 up to Y6
We encourage children to start their day in the healthiest possible way, by getting exercise on their journey to school. The children are welcome to walk, cycle or scooter to school.